For exotic shoes that exclude unparalleled style, opt for a pair of ostrich shoes. This bird’s leather boasts a unique pattern that’s impossible to replicate. But that’s not all – ostrich shoes actually cost more than other leathers. Your shoes will be so desirable that everyone will look at you and want to be you....
What Are Ostrich Shoes?
One of the most in-demand leathers is ostrich leather. This type of leather is extremely rare due to how extensive its production process is – after all, there’s hardly any leather on an ostrich compared to, say, a crocodile.
When you wear ostrich shoes, you exude a certain confidence that can only be found in people who wear exotic footwear. You’ll be able to show the world that you’re fashionable and that you know how to look sleek. You’re aware that your style is a cut above the rest – and you have the shoes to show for it.
Real vs Fake Ostrich Shoes
Ostrich skin is in the same league as alligator skin, snakeskin, and other exotic skins. Not only is it rare, but it’s also incredibly durable, which is why it’s so desirable. If you plan to purchase ostrich shoes, you should be able to tell whether what you’re buying is made from the real thing, or if it’s nothing but a fake.
Buyer beware! Some tanneries produce “ostrich print”, a leather that has been stamped with a pattern that’s similar in appearance (but not in texture) to ostrich leather. Since it would be a fashion faux pas to wear a fake pair of shoes, let’s take a look at how you can be 100% certain you’ve got the real thing:
- Feel the surface of the shoes. If it feels too flawless, we hate to break it to you, but it’s a fake. It should be a bit bumpy, and you should be able to feel tiny pores similar to crocodile skin shoes. It’s unlikely for fake skin to be bumpy, as it’s essentially been printed on.
- Beware of perfection. The easiest way to tell if it’s fake is if the pattern is too perfect. The real thing should feature one-of-a-kind marks. If the pattern repeats, that’s a sign that it’s not genuine leather.
- Buy from reputable brands. Brands such as Belvedere have standards. They do not produce shoes made from ostrich print as they know their reputation is at stake. Be sure to buy from reputable brand names so you can get a good pair. It will be costly, but you’ll get a long-wearing shoe in return so it’s going to be worth it.
What Are the Two Types of Ostrich Leather?
In general, tanneries get their ostrich leather from two parts: the “main” part (e.g. the bird’s body) and the legs.
- Full-Quill Ostrich Leather. This is skin that was taken from the main part of the bird’s body. It’s a bit bumpy because it has traces of the hair follicles where the feathers once were.
- Leg Ostrich Leather. The skin that’s taken from the ostrich’s leg looks scaly, which is why it’s often mistaken for gator skin. Leather from the leg is generally smooth, featuring a row of raised lines that runs along the middle.
Why Wear Ostrich Shoes?
When you think of leather footwear, what animal first comes to mind? Chances are that an ostrich doesn’t cross your mind at all. However, what you don’t know is that ostrich leather has certain features that you can’t find in any other leather.
- Wide range of designs. Tanneries have got a large “canvas” to work with when they use crocodile skin, alligator skin, and the like. But since birds aren’t as large, brands need to get a bit creative. They use all of the leather – including the leg leather – so that nothing goes to waste. As a result, the designs vary based on where they got the leather from – leg leather, for instance, features lines that run along the center.
- Long-lasting. It can last more than a lifetime. It is designed to last long due to the natural oils that maintain its supple shape. The oils also make the leather crack-proof, so you can make sure they’re in pristine condition.
- Durable. Don’t underestimate the durability of this bird! Ostrich skin may be soft, but it can withstand years of constant wear like cowhide. Plus, if you take care of it properly, it will continue to look good as new!
- Luxurious. What do the brands Bottega Veneta, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton have in common? They know what luxury should look like. That’s why they use only quality leather such as full-quill ostrich leather.
- Breathable. Your shoes should be able to breathe. That way, you can make sure they don’t crack. This type of leather is breathable, so you won’t have to worry about buying a brand-new pair any time soon.
Find a Pair of Premium Ostrich Shoes at DapperFam
Complete your outfit with a pair of shoes crafted from ostrich leather. At DapperFam, you’ll only find premium ostrich shoes from reputable brands such as Belvedere. Whether you want to wear sneakers, loafers, oxfords, or a combination of exotic materials like Nino in Black, we’ve got a wide variety of ostrich shoes to choose from.
*Free shipping is eligible on domestic orders $100+.
Coupons/codes/promotions that, when applied, lower the total order amount below the free shipping threshold will invalidate the free shipping promotion.